Re: Error downloading fltk-1.3.2-source.tar.gz during Octave installatio

From: AndrewJanke
Subject: Re: Error downloading fltk-1.3.2-source.tar.gz during Octave installation on Mac OS X Mountain Lion
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 09:24:35 -0700 (PDT)

bpabbott wrote
> On Apr 23, 2013, at 1:34 AM, Gyan Ranjan wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have been trying to install Octave on Mountain Lion using the
>> homebrew packet manager as described on the wiki page.
>> However, at the stage where one has to type:
>>
>> % brew install octave
>>
>> the installation process is stalled with the following error:
>>
>> curl: (7) couldn't connect to host
>> Error: Download failed:
>> http://ftp.easysw.com/pub/fltk/1.3.2/fltk-1.3.2-source.tar.gz
>>
>> Can any one please provide a means to resolve this?
>>
>> Many thanks!
>>
>> Best,
>> Gyan
>
> First a qualifier, I think Homebrew has dropped support for octave.  Has
> that changed?
>
> The error you are getting is unrelated to that.  You'll need to use an
> alternative ftp site (mirror) for fltk.  My understanding is that an
> alternative mirror may be specified in Homebrew's formula for FLTK.  Maybe
> someone else on the list will know more.
>
> You might also try the Homebrew forum/mail-list, but I'm not sure if such
> a thing exists.  They have a "issues" list that looks to more of a bug
> tracker.  If that is the wrong place to seek help, no doubt someone will
> point you to the correct place.
>
>       https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/issues
>
> Ben

Hi folks,

I'm Andrew Janke; I've been doing some work with Homebrew and specifically
Octave lately.

Homebrew has not dropped Octave support. It has active users, so it'll stick
around for the foreseeable future. However, octave has been moved from the
main "homebrew" section to the "homebrew/science" tap. This is basically a
namespace change, as Homebrew reorganizes to handle its swelling ranks of
packages. To install octave now, you need to `brew tap homebrew/science`
before you do `brew install octave` or related packages.

That said, there's been bugs in some Octave dependencies, so it hasn't been
building for the past week or so. We're in the process of fixing that.
Here's the bug if you want to watch it.
https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-science/issues/132

Gyan, your particular problem is that octave depends on the package fltk,
which is hosted on easysw.com, and easysw.com goes down a lot. We just
checked in a fix for this today, downloading fltk from a more reliable
mirror. Do a `brew update` and this problem should go away.

So, give it a day for the remaining Octave build issues to sort out. If it's
still broken tomorrow, head over to the homebrew-science issue tracker (each
tap has their own issue tracker), see if any octave issues are still open,
and report your build failure as a bug if it doesn't look like one of the
open issues.
https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-science/issues/search?q=octave&state=open

There's a troublehsooting guide which lists places to get Homebrew help:
https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/wiki/troubleshooting. For build failures
like this, the GitHub issue trackers are most appropriate, or the Freenode
IRC channel if you want fast response to a short question.

Sorry for the long-windedness.

Cheers,
Andrew