octave on windows 8

From: Francis Poulin
Subject: octave on windows 8
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 17:10:49 +0000

Hello,

I am teaching a course where I am encouraging my students to use Octave,
instead of the more popular commercial alternative.  I have a student who told
me that he installed it on his PC that runs windows 8 but it crashes every time
there is an error in the code, which when learning a language happens a lot.
Unfortunately I don't have the details of what he installed.

Do you have any instructions on how to install octave 3.6.4 on windows 8 that
avoids the crashes (that the student mentioned others have observed)?

Sorry to be vague but any advice would be helpful.

Cheers, Francis