Re: Basics of SECS*D

From: c.
Subject: Re: Basics of SECS*D
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 22:02:59 +0200

On 15 Jul 2014, at 18:21, Salvatore La Cavera III <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am attempting to simulate DD and device performance for PiN diodes. My OS
> is 32-bit Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. I have GNU Octave and QtOctave appropriately
> installed.

I do not recommend using QtOctave, which is an abondoned and unmaintained
project.
Octave now has its own GUI which, although experimental, is already MUCH better
than QtOctave:
http://wiki.octave.org/FAQ#GUI

> My question is fairly basic, how do I manipulate/apply the /secs3d-0.0.1/inst
> files in my GNU Octave Terminal Shell to produce graphical output for
> specific device measurables I desire (e.g. I-V plot)?
first you should install the package:
http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Installing-and-Removing-Packages.html#Installing-and-Removing-Packages

unless you have a very peculiar geometry that really requires it I definetly
recommend starting with secs1d rather than secs3d.
All secs*d packages have undergone lots of transformation recently, but new
release has been held back due to this bug:
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=38236

an example of how to comput one bias point of a diode is given here:
http://octave.sourceforge.net/secs1d/function/secs1d_dd_gummel_map.html

just loop over the range of bias you are interested in to create an IV plot

> My copying and pasting of say the QDDGOX files, has only generated the
> standard convergence plot.
QDDGOX is meant for nanoscale MOSFET simulation.
Is that what you are aiming at?

> Any help on how to customize graphical output is much appreciated, thank you!
have you ever been using Octave before?
Do you need help with plotting in general or just about how to generate IV data?

c.