Re: Compiling for Octave 4.0.0 in ubuntu 14.04 error

From: Thomas D. Dean
Subject: Re: Compiling for Octave 4.0.0 in ubuntu 14.04 error
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 05:58:03 -0700

On 07/23/15 05:09, Rick T wrote:
Tom which octave dev 4.1 package did you use? Do you have a link?

 <snip>

I am building from the repository.  If you do not have hg installed,
sudo apt-get install hg

See http://wiki.octave.org/Mercurial

The commands are

hg clone http://www.octave.org/hg/octave

cd octave

## this uses setup information to create the configure file
./bootstrap

./configure --help and read the options. You may not need to use any options.

mkdir Build  ## this is not essential, I just like to keep the
cd Build     ## source tree clean

../configure
make
make check
sudo make install  ## this installs into /usr/local by default

I do not use the GUI, so I do not have Qt installed. If you want the GUI, use apt-get to install one of the libQTxxx-dev packages.

OSMesa is needed for Offscreen rendering with OpenGL. I do not use this, either.

I have an alias for octave, which starts an xterm running octave. If you use this, don't split the line. I have a file ~/.bash_aliases which is sourced from my .bashrc.

if [ -f ~/.bash_aliases ]; then
    . ~/.bash_aliases
fi

alias octave='/usr/bin/xterm -fn 9x15 -fi 9x15 -geometry 80x55+180+0 -e octave &'

Tom Dean