Re: PKG install under Windows Mingw setup

From: User1116
Subject: Re: PKG install under Windows Mingw setup
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 10:07:23 -0700 (PDT)

tmacchant wrote
> It sounds odd.
> Many people install octave-forge packages by standard pkg install.
> I myself also have installed octave 4.0.0 and octave-forge packages
> to five windows computers (three win 7, two win 8.1) with standard
> install.
>
> (Without no special treatments.
> Install directory is C;\octave\Octave-4.0.0)
>
> Do you log on as a administrator on windows?
> If not, can you try to start octave
> (If you have already tried, sorry for that)

I do not log on as an administrator.  I'm in a custom user group created by
the IT department.  I can install software, but there are things I can't do
- such as disable anti-virus or security programs.

tmacchant wrote
> 1. Go to C:\octave\Octave-4.0.0
> 2. Right click octave.bat
> (.bat may not be seen if you change folder properties.
> two octave icon displayed: one is octave.bat and the other octave.vbs.
> On right click, "Run as administrator" is displayed only for octave.bat )
> 3. execute "Run as administrator"
> 4. execute "pkg install -forge instrument-control" without pkg prefix
> setting

I tried this, but without the -forge flag.  I get an error with appending.
(At least it's not my normal copy permission denied ones!)

>> pkg install instrument-control-0.2.1.tar.gz
warning: creating installation directory
C:\Octave\Octave-4.0.0\share\octave\packages
warning: called from
    install at line 30 column 5
    pkg at line 405 column 9
error: couldn't append to
C:\Octave\Octave-4.0.0\share\octave\octave_packages
save: unable to open output file
'C:\Octave\Octave-4.0.0\share\octave\octave_packages'
error: called from 'install' in file
C:\Octave\Octave-4.0.0\share\octave\4.0.0\m\pkg\private\install.m near line
284, column 7

The reason I don't use the -forge option is a convoluted proxy scheme
utilized that I always have trouble getting around in SW (I did a portable
MikTeX install specifically for this reason).  I'm not very good with
networking configurations but I connect to a server, get a proxy
configuration .pac file, and end up with a handful of different proxies I
periodically have to log-in to.

Back to the administrator install, but with -local and the prefixes changed
to leave my Y:/ drive alone, I get a variety of errors from mv commands,
claiming things are the same file.  Ending excerpt below:

mv:
`c:/users/adamro1/octave/instrument-control-0.2.1/i686-w64-mingw32-api-v50+/vxi11_read.oct'
and `C:/users/adamro1/octave/instrument-control-0.2.1/i68
6-w64-mingw32-api-v50+/vxi11_read.oct' are the same file
mv:
`c:/users/adamro1/octave/instrument-control-0.2.1/i686-w64-mingw32-api-v50+/vxi11_write.oct'
and `C:/users/adamro1/octave/instrument-control-0.2.1/i6
86-w64-mingw32-api-v50+/vxi11_write.oct' are the same file
couldn't copy files to the installation directory
error: called from 'copy_files' in file
C:\Octave\Octave-4.0.0\share\octave\4.0.0\m\pkg\private\copy_files.m near
line 90, column 9

It should be noted that I had previously modified the .vbs file to run as
administrator and achieved some small success.  I found a combination that
allowed the package to install (although I can't remember it) but it was
gone when I started Octave the next time.