Re: invalid character for plot (x, y, FMT)

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: invalid character for plot (x, y, FMT)
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2015 09:17:28 -0500

On Tue, Dec 08, 2015 at 18:04:30 -0500, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
> googling through the texinfo changelog
> http://svn.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/*checkout*/trunk/ChangeLog?root=texinfo
>
> 2012-01-24  Patrice Dumas  <address@hidden>
> * tp/Texinfo/Convert/Plaintext.pm, tp/Texinfo/Convert/Unicode.pm,
> tp/Texinfo/Convert/XML.pm, util/texinfo.dtd: ` becomes ' in plaintext
> to follow the GNU coding standards change.  ` and ' are translated to
> unicode characters in XML and when @documentencoding is utf-8 and
> enable-encoding is set.
>
> that would be a whatever--> 5.0 change.

Thanks for looking that up.

> that news file and changelog are still using the `x' format for
> everything quoted.  seems like it might still keep the ` based on that
> last statement unless there's another flag that can be set?

No, if I read that right it's talking about XML (implying HTML also)
output. Within Octave itself, the plaintext output will have single
quotes (U+0027) which is what I see in Debian. And I can confirm that
the HTML output uses the &lsquo; and &rsquo; characters.

> maybe too big a change for the 4.0.1 bug release? :)

It wouldn't be a code change in Octave, and I don't know what the policy
has been for updating helper programs in the Windows bundle for point
releases (actually this will be the first one!).

I've reported this as bug #46637.

--
mike