Re: csv read problem

From: Doug Stewart
Subject: Re: csv read problem
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 12:38:30 -0500

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 12:18 PM, Nicholas Jankowski <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 12:16 PM, Nicholas Jankowski <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 12:09 PM, Doug Stewart <address@hidden> wrote:

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 11:32 AM, margalja <address@hidden> wrote:
Thank you, Nick, that was fast.

Well, I didn't write the csvs, they are downloaded from an oficial website
from an agency and there isn't information about how they process them.

this is one of the files:
A02_Camp_de_Mirra_01_01_2000_01_01_2005.csv
<http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/n4674878/A02_Camp_de_Mirra_01_01_2000_01_01_2005.csv>

The first column has
3 ; 2 ; 0 2 / 0 1 / 2 0 0 0 ; 2 0 0 0 ; 2 ; 0

in it.
--
DAS

more than that. opening is SciTE it's showing an extra non-display-able character between every character. I've tried playing with character encodings but they just display as _NUL_. (black background text, not underscored)  i.e.,:

line 2 gives:

NUL3NUL;NUL2NUL;NUL0NUL1NUL/NUL0NUL1NUL/NUL ...

So, something about the source made for an odd csv file, and octave is just reporting back what it sees.

nickj

I just imported it into Excel to take a look at it. Excel opened the file fine, ignores the NUL character (no space shown between characters).

Looking at it with ghex  shows that there is a 00 between every good byte of data.

49 00 64 00 50 00 72 00 6F 00 76   etc.

If one was to read it in byte by byte and save every second  byte to a new file , then I think it would work

--
DASCertificate for 206392