Re: pkg install ?

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: pkg install ?
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 13:07:27 -0500

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 12:50 PM, Jonathan Camilleri <address@hidden> wrote:
I had downloaded packages that I wanted to install, but somehow I am not writing the correct command.  The options are not very clear either they specify characters which then cannot be used within the command line.

Is this my misunderstanding perhaps?

ok, for some reason pkg isn't seeing the file you are trying to install. You also are using Windows and don't have the default package set installed.

Recommend you first install the default packages:

1 - Navigate using the file/folder tree in the upper left of Octave window to c:\Octave\Octave-4.0.0\src (once you are there, you should see a build_packages.m file in that file/folder tree.  )
2 - run that build_packages.m file.  it'll take a little while.

next, you'll probably want to update any packages you're going to use. pkg update <packagename> should do it, and it'll get them from the server.  (note, you can just specify the short name, like 'control', instead of the long filename for everything but installing from a file you downloaded manually.)  If you can an error that 'package X depends on version Z of package Y', update 'package Y' first, then go back to updating the one you want.

You can just do 'pkg update', to update them all, but there have been a lot of changes since 4.0.0 was release, and this will stop on an error like I mentioned above.

regarding your specific error here:  I'm not sure why pkg doesn't see the file if your addpath and filename are all typed correctly. but it's usually easier to navigate to the file location using the file/folder tree or the cd command rather than changing your path all the time.

Nick J.