Poor plot performance on Windows

From: Jake
Subject: Poor plot performance on Windows
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 15:08:08 -0700

Greetings all,

I'm currently on Octave 4.0.0 for Windows (use the Linux version too), and I've been noticing for years actually (since about 3.4 or 3.6?) that plotting is much much slower than on Linux. For a while it used to be that the initial call to plot() would freeze for a few minutes and then everything would be responsive after that, but now I'm trying to run a small program that plots 4 figures and uses saveas() to save them as PNGs and it's taking forever. Without posting the code (I can), to summarize, basically without the plotting calls, the program would run and process all the data in under a minute. With them, it takes 30 minutes plus. Is there a 'best' graphics toolkit that I should be using on Windows? Any settings that I can change to get some better plotting performance?

Thanks,
Jacob Abel