Re: How to install Octave 4.0.1 on OS X Yosemite

From: Sebastian Schöps
Subject: Re: How to install Octave 4.0.1 on OS X Yosemite
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2016 02:29:21 -0700 (PDT)

Dear all,

there is an extensive description here how to compile Octave via homebrew
and how to make and distribute the binary as DMG:

http://wiki.octave.org/Create_a_MacOS_X_App_Bundle_Using_Homebrew

IMHO the advantages of Homebrew are that it tries to minimize the
replication of libraries (the old octave binary based on macports was huge),
the community is very friendly and it is developed by scientists for
scientists.

Sadly, the feedback from the Octave community for creating a Octave binary
was not very enthusiastic. I posted a beta but I did not get much feedback
(some of you may recall). Actually we had recently a sponsor who wanted to
pay for the binary but nobody wanted to take the money. So, finally, I
stopped working on the octave wikie page and binary. I am still maintaining
the homebrew formula (4.0.1 is almost ready) and I am using the octave mac
binary only internally at my university.

We could make a new attempt to update the wiki page and create a binary
release but then I need to be sure that I get some help.

Bye
Sebastian