Re: Attempts to print or save a figure cause Octave to crash

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: Attempts to print or save a figure cause Octave to crash
Date: Tue, 24 May 2016 09:00:15 -0500

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 7:45 AM, Alasdair McAndrew <address@hidden> wrote:
I am using Octave version 4.0.1 under a newly installed Arch Linux.  However, I can't seem to be able to save a figure.  For example:

print -djpg figure1.jpg

​Normally you should not use jpeg for line graphics.
(Though it is irrelevant to the problem.)

​...​

  • what I need in order to print to a file

​I suspect that you may have a non-free graphics drivers (e.g. nvidia proprietary
driver). This has been discussed on this list multiple times and even some workarounds
were suggested.

I have ghostscript and gnuplot installed.  However, when I set the graphics_toolkit to gnuplot, then I can't resize a plot - enlarging the window causes the plot to be tiled, rather than resized.

​It depends what kind of terminal your gnuplot is using. This can be controlled by
GNUTERM environmental variable. By your description I suspect that it might be the basic
X11 driver. In that case try to mouse over the plot (after you have re-sized it​) and hit "a" key --
this should stretch the plot over entire window. You may also consider switching to more modern,
cairo-based, terminals like "qt" or "wxt". E.g.:

 octave:1> graphics_toolkit ("gnuplot")
octave:2> setenv ("GNUTERM", "qt")
octave:3> plot (randn(10))
octave:4>