Re: Fwd: Octave: nlopt package.

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Fwd: Octave: nlopt package.
Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 11:02:54 -0700

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 19:01:21 +0200, Constantine Frangos wrote:
> Dear Mike,
>
> Some time ago I sent the email below to the Octave help
> list but noticed that it was not received by this list.
>
> I am receiving email inquiries and replies from the Octave
> help list but do not know if I can still submit my own
> inquiries ?

I don't know why you would be having trouble mailing the list. Maybe try
contacting the GNU listmasters?

> If possible please forward my email to the Octave help
> list - thanks

Done. Others, continue below.

> Hi all,
>
> I am using Octave 3.8 on a linux machine. The synaptic package
> manager indicates that the package octave-nlopt 2.4.1 is
> installed, as well as libnlopt0.
>
> However, when I try to load it from the octave command line
> there is an error message indicating that the package nlopt
> is not installed - see below.
>
> The command: pkg list
> produces a list of packages but nlopt is not on the list.
>
> How can I install nlopt or make nlopt usable from octave ?
>
> Thanks,
> Constantine.
>

> octave:8> pkg describe nlopt
> error: some packages are not installed:  nlopt
> error: called from:
> error:   /usr/share/octave/3.8.1/m/pkg/private/describe.m at line 69, column 7
> error:   /usr/share/octave/3.8.1/m/pkg/pkg.m at line 526, column 11
> octave:8>
>

> octave:7> pkg load nlopt
> error: package nlopt is not installed
> error: called from:
> error:   /usr/share/octave/3.8.1/m/pkg/private/load_packages.m at line 53,
> column 11
> error:   /usr/share/octave/3.8.1/m/pkg/pkg.m at line 412, column 7

I don't have this package installed, but from the package contents it
looks like it is not an Octave "package" the way Octave's pkg command
expects, so pkg will not see it.

Instead, it looks like the provided functions are simply installed in
the "site" directories that are part of the default load path, so the
functions should just be there, nothing needs to be loaded.

HTH,

--
mike