Re: Octave on Mac and Java

From: Sebastian
Subject: Re: Octave on Mac and Java
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 22:26:08 +0200

Dear David,

> I believe I also have that Java version installed… I certainly have the 1.6.0
> folders referenced in the threads under the second link.
>
> So if I have the Java version installed, how might I link it into Octave? I
> can’t seem to find anything in those threads that might suggest how I can
> configure / rebuild Octave to use the jvm – any ideas?

As Ben said, out Octave.app does not ship with Java support. You have to build
Octave by you own, e.g.

1) install Octave from homebrew, e.g. "brew install octave --with-java".
Probably something similar works for Macports.

2) use the steps explained here
http://wiki.octave.org/Create_a_MacOS_X_App_Bundle_Using_Homebrew. I modified
the script "install_octave.sh" to take as an additinal option "-j". It should
compile Octave with Java 1.6.0.

Sebastian