Re: No Java support found (no Java JRE? no Java pkg installed AND loaded

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: No Java support found (no Java JRE? no Java pkg installed AND loaded?)
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2016 13:59:36 -0800 (PST)

jasim wrote
> Hello there,
> I get this message when I try to use xlswrite. Can some one help? I am a
> new user of GNU Octave. I am using Octave 4.2.0 on a Windows 7 64 bit
> machine. Thanks,
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> A =
>
>    1   5
>    3  -0
>
>>> rstatus = xlswrite('test1.xls', 'A') ;
> Detected XLS interfaces: warning: No Java support found (no Java JRE? no
> Java pkg installed AND loaded?)
> warning: called from
>     getxlsinterfaces at line 121 column 11
>     xlsopen at line 262 column 17
>     xlswrite at line 202 column 9
>
> None.
> warning: xlsopen.m: no'.xls' spreadsheet I/O support with available
> interfaces.

That message looks clear enough to me, but maybe not to other people:

for .xls files (the old Excel BIFF8 & BIFF5 format) there's no support
without
- either: Excel itself and windows package,
- or Java and the relevant Java spreadsheet IO support SW (class libs).

If your file is in .xlsx, or .ods, or .gnumeric, format no external support
SW is required. But you got an .xls file.
Ty to convert your .xls file into one of the other formats, or install the
relevant Java class libs.
Look in the wiki for more info.

Philip