Re: Error compiling octave under Centos 7

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Error compiling octave under Centos 7
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2017 10:25:55 -0700

On Tue, Jun 06, 2017 at 09:24:35 -0300, Ariel Arelovich wrote:
> Currently I've figured out that I need to compile with with-qt=4 option,
> but I want to do it with qt5. However when doing the configure I get this
> warning that QScintilla was not found so the Qt Gui will be disabled. Which
> is what, I believe, caused the problem in the first place.

Building Octave without QScintilla will disable the built-in code
editor, but the rest of the GUI and plot functions will be fully
functional.

> However the library IS installed. It is just a matter of creating the right
> symlink for the configure to find it. But I don't know where it is on my
> computer or where the configure is looking for it.

It looks to me like the EPEL 7 repository has a qscintilla package built
against Qt 4, but not against Qt 5.

Is there a reason you want to build against Qt 5? I would recommend
building with Qt 5 when using an up-to-date distro like Debian or
Fedora, but using Qt 4 with a stable / enterprise / LTS distro like
CentOS 7 at this point. Maybe when CentOS 8 comes out it will have
better built-in support for Qt 5.

--
mike