Re: Calling plot() consistently crashes octave - Why?

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Calling plot() consistently crashes octave - Why?
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2017 09:30:17 -0700

On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 08:16:33 -0700, david wrote:
> "Was this with OpenBLAS still installed or did you successfully remove
> it?"
> Just ran this:
>
>  # ldconfig -p | grep blas
>         libopenblas.so.0 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/libopenblas.so.0
>         liblastfm.so.1 (libc6,x86-64) =>
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/liblastfm.so.1
>         libgslcblas.so.0 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/libgslcblas.so.0
>

> so I guess libopenblas is still installed.   Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct.

> Last night, I ran this simple x^2 vs. x plot from another linux Live CD (not
> installed) and it plotted
> perfectly on the first try.    I did NOT have to add any scripts or system
> libraries to make it work.

What live distribution and version was this? Booted on the same machine?

> Should I remove libopenblas and retry it?       If yes, how do you suggest
> removing
> it ?    and is my concern abuot breaking other installed applications valid
> ?

Yes, if I were on a wheezy system I would run the following

    sudo apt-get install libblas3 liblapack3
    sudo apt-get purge libatlas3-base libopenblas-base

The first command may do nothing if these libraries are already
installed.

The second apt-get command will tell you if any other packages need to
be uninstalled transitively because of removing libatlas3-base and
libopenblas-base. There are very few packages that have a hard
dependency on libopenblas-base.

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember that OpenBLAS 0.1 on wheezy was a
bit immature, and Octave recommended ATLAS at the time.

--
mike