proper way to build octave on ubuntu

From: Clinton S
Subject: proper way to build octave on ubuntu
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 10:31:51 -0500

I am wondering what the expected procedure is to build octave on ubuntu.  I tried following the instructions at this page:  http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Debian_systems, but before I could call ./configure, I had to run ./bootstrap so that ./configure would have the necessary files, after which I was able to successfully build octave.

My confusion arises from the fact that I edited the above wiki page to reflect my experience, but user Carandraug reverted my change.  I am trying to figure out whether calling ./bootstrap was not the expected way to do things, or whether there was something wrong with my specific edit to the wiki page or its style, as I included a caveat that I wasn't experienced with building octave.

Thanks,
Clint