how to save a text file

From: Kasius Klej
Subject: how to save a text file
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 15:42:45 -0700 (MST)

I'm trying to modify a text file and having trouble with what seems to be an
easy task. I'm new to Octave and the documentation for me is all Greek for
now. Perhaps someone could help me? I gather this is an easy question.

#this works fine for me
[A]=textread('input.csv', '%s');
A= strrep(A,",",";");

#this is where trouble begin, this is where I get salad
save ("test.txt", "A");

#or this, this is where I get error message
save ("-ascii", "test.txt", "A");

error: octave_base_value::matrix_value(): wrong type argument 'cell'
warning: save: unable to save A in ASCII format