help-rcs

Re: quoting date strings

From: Steven N. Crane
Subject: Re: quoting date strings
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 11:10:46 -0800 (PST)

Hugh, Colin,

Thanks for the replies. I did try escaping with \'s but that didn't
work either. We use ksh. But I get the same thing with sh and zsh.
I suppose I could load bash and see what happens, but...
I've tried this on Solaris 5.7, HP-UX 10.2, AIX, IRIX, DEC-OSF1.
Same thing everywhere.

It looks like the shell is either sending quoted items as separate args
or RCS is somehow reparsing the input and tripping over blanks. I wrote
a quick little C program but it worked ok; quoted items were correctly
grouped as a single argument.

Maybe it's the way I built RCS, but that was 5 years ago and everything
else seems to work ok. (I actually noticed this problem a while back and
ignored it since I didn't use -d. Now I'd like to use it).

Still looking...

Thanks,

- Steven