help-rcs

Re: linux version of "check"

From: Colin Brough
Subject: Re: linux version of "check"
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 10:58:04 +0100

> I am switching from SGI's IRIX to SuSE linux, and I sorely miss the
> utility "check", that listed the RCS-locked files in the current
> directory.  I thought it was part of RCS, but now it looks to me like it
> was an SGI extension, since I can only find a compiled version on my old
> SGI.
>
> I've checked around on the news groups postings, but I've only been able
> to locate a compiled version for Sun.  (I also know that I can use the
> pull-down menus in emacs, but I'd like something to use at the
> command-line.)  Do you know of source code for such a utility that I can
> use on my linux box?

Back in 1993-94 I wrote such a utility, for my own use - rcsi, for RCS
informaton. I don't consider it very good, but it works for me. Feel
free to use it:

        http://www.btinternet.com/~Colin.Brough/rcsi.tar.gz

There is a README, manpage, rudimentary Makefile and source file. I
didn't write for portability, but it was tested on SunOS, Irix, OSF/1
and an early Solaris. More recently any work I have done has been
exclusively under Linux.

Cheers

Colin

Colin Brough                               address@hidden