help-rcs

address@hidden: RCS and binary files.]

From: Colin Brough
Subject: address@hidden: RCS and binary files.]
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 18:02:55 +0000

> I've found some answers regarding check-in/out of binary files with
> RCS, which say that the diffutils GNU software offers support for such
> operations. Can anyone elaborate? What exactly needs to be done in
> order for it to work correctly? Should any specail switches be used?

RCS uses the GNU diffutils programs to compare files - RCS stores the
differences between versions rather than each complete version. The
diffutils programs assume a non-binary file (lines which can be
compared). Only the GNU version of diff3 can cope with binary files
(see the -m option on the diff3 manpage).

So if RCS is installed and configured to use GNU diffutils, then it
"just works", otherwise it "just doesn't work"!

Cheers

Colin

Colin Brough                             address@hidden