help-rcs

Re: advise on the result on the this rcs scenario

From: Aaron S. Hawley
Subject: Re: advise on the result on the this rcs scenario
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 14:20:40 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, Mark C wrote:

> Cheers for the help and links, the one thing you mentioned above, about
> checking out files over the Internet (if this was allowed, it would make
> things easier), this will not be happening, as they will not allow
> external access into the company.

that's an important point.  of course, putting it on the web or available
through a network server is optional in CVS and subversion.

I'd use CVS and subversion in your case because your's is a
group-development project, and you're working with many large repositories
of files.  RCS's design begins to run out of room.

But if that doesn't convince you, the "update" command will. your
colleague can then bring back his work from home on CD and before he runs
a "ci" (check-in)  command run an "update" command in cvs(1) or svn(1)
to see what changes were made while he was working at home, and "merge"
them with his own.

RCS doesn't automatically merge changes.  people do.
/a

Subversion is free software and has free documentation:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/