help-rcs

Re: RFC: null-terminated separators for rlog

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: RFC: null-terminated separators for rlog
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 23:27:15 -0700

Jonathan Noack <address@hidden> writes:

> It is highly improbable this sequence would randomly appear in a
> commit log.

You might be surprised how many people feed the output of "rlog" into
"ci".  So the probability is not as low as you might think.

Anyway, I'd rather not have a solution that merely lowers the
probability of an error.  If we're going to make a change, we should
fix the problem in general, by coming up with a general quoting
scheme.  One possibility would be a byte count in front of the string;
another would be a way to escape characters.