help-rcs

Re: v5.8...

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: v5.8...
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 22:43:11 GMT

    Its rife with accented UTF-8 characters like 'â€˜' that of course
    don't play nice (depending on locale I'm guessing) with some
    apps like 'less', 'vi', etc...

I totally agree.  I reported this before but Thien-Thi chose to keep
them.  I don't know why.

    The home page has'em as well:
    <http://www.gnu.org/s/rcs/>

There it should be ok because the server and browser should be able to
negotiate it.  Thien-Thi, I see the page starts with:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

but evidently this is insufficient (I see garbage too, on the "All
commands accept ..." line.  In my experience, <meta
http-equiv="Content-Type" Content="text/html; charset=utf-8"> to the
<head> should make it work.

Best,