Re: Shishi Summer of Code

From: Elrond
Subject: Re: Shishi Summer of Code
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 15:27:04 +0200

On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 01:47:28PM +0200, Simon Josefsson wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Shishi participate, through the GNU project, in the Google Summer of
> Code, see:
>
> http://code.google.com/soc/
>
> You can earn USD 4500 for working on a Shishi project!

If I were eligible. ;o)
(Just (successfuly) left university and looking around for
a PhD place.)

Acting as a full-time mentor doesn't look like it's paid at
all, so I can't offer that now.
I can offer helping in mentoring someone.

[...]
>    1. Implement the set/change password protocol, see
>       draft-ietf-krb-wg-kerberos-set-passwd-04.txt. This would make it
>       possible to change passwords remotely, through a standardized
>       protocol.

I can only offer testing and code quality mentoring here.
My quick look at the spec some weeks ago suggested, that
it's not too hard and probably possible within the three
months.

>    2. Implement Public-Key Cryptography for Initial Authentication in
>       Kerberos, see draft-ietf-cat-kerberos-pk-init-34.txt. This is
>       another way to support X.509 authentication in Kerberos,
>       compared to the one which Shishi already support through TLS.

I have no plan on that. ;)

>    3. Implement cross-realm authentication logic.

That sounds like a tough job to me.

If you get a "student" for that one, I surely want to get
in touch with her/him to learn about it.
(windows does _transitive_ cross-realm auth somehow
internally too. And I don't yet know much about it.)

>    4. Implement functionality to read MIT/Heimdal configuration files
>       and Kerberos ticket caches. This would enable drop-in use of
>       Shishi where MIT/Heimdal is used today.

Sounds useful, but doesn't really kick me.

>    5. Implement a LDAP backend for the Kerberos server.

That one sounds a bit big for three months to me. It's a
lot of "paper work", and less coding. Main job here is to
investigate already existing schemata and evaluating them.
Etc.
Not really, what kicks me either.

> I'm open to hear about other neat ideas, even if you are not
> volunteering to be either mentor or student.

semi-mentor for some projects.
I can also help a bit with the GSS/spnego project. (I just
hacked 25% of spnego for TNG a few days ago. ;) )

    Elrond