Re: Debian Shishi integration: krb5-config

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: Debian Shishi integration: krb5-config
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 12:01:51 -0700

Elrond <address@hidden> writes:
> On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 12:30:31PM +0200, Simon Josefsson wrote:

>> I've been thinking about integrating Shishi with the rest of Debian
>> kerberos stuff.  One thing is configuration, and I've looked at the
>> krb5-config package.  It seems like the shishi-common package could
>> depend on it, to ask questions about the default realm and
>> KDC/admin-server, and then populate /etc/shishi.conf with the values.

> I don't know exactly, if and how debconf supports "other package asks
> questions, this package uses answeers"

It does, and fairly straightforwardly.  You can use debconf as normal in
your postinst and just pull the answers from the other package using the
regular debconf question designators (which will have a prefix of the
other package in this case).  I maintain some other packages that do this
to share answers across several packages.

>> However, it is not implemented yet.  One reason is that this seems
>> unclean, and I'm worried the /etc/krb5.conf format will change.  The
>> format isn't really under my control.

> I think, that the format is quite stable. mit and heimdal use it. So
> both need to cooperate on the issue.

Yeah, I think it's fairly unlikely that it will change substantially.  MIT
is currently considering a profile library rewrite, but it looked like the
format that the new library recognized would be almost identical to the
old library (only some possible variation in edge cases with whitespace).

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>