Re: Broken k5login authentication type.

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Broken k5login authentication type.
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 13:10:36 +0200

Mats Erik Andersson <address@hidden> writes:

> onsdag den  8 augusti 2012 klockan 12:39 skrev Simon Josefsson detta:
>> Mats Erik Andersson <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> Thank you!  Patch applied.
>>
>> >   * No falling back to other authentication types, as this would
>> >     consitute a security breach in itself.
>>
>> I think you refer to the case where there is no .k5login file.  I recall
>> that MIT/Heimdal fall back on a strcmp-like approach in this situation,
>> doesn't it?  If the file doesn't exist, I think the semantics in
>> MIT/Heimdal is that if your principal matches the username, you are let
>> in.  Please check this and followup.
>
> My preferred interpretation is that
>
>   shishi_authorize_p (h, "k5login");
>
> should only set authorization type "k5login", nothing more, nothing less.
> Allowing the fall back is equivalent to make the above call be equal to
>
>   shishi_authorize_p (h, "k5login basic");
>
> I find it important to be able to enforce a distinction here.

Good point, I agree.

It feels a bit awkward for every application to provide the "k5login
basic" string though. What if we want to introduce something new by
default in the future?  Maybe there should be a "default" authorization
string that maps to (currently) "k5login basic".  Then most applications
could use that, and we'd be more future safe.  Thoughts?

/Simon