help-smalltalk

Re: [Help-smalltalk] Language Shootout GNU Smalltalk

From: Isaac Gouy
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Language Shootout GNU Smalltalk
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 05:00:57 -0700 (PDT)

> > GNU Smalltalk is now in "The Great Computer Language Shootout"
> >    http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/lang/gst/

> I had tried implementing the programs myself to do some benchmarking
> last summer.  I can dig them out.

That would be great! (Particularly "Echo Client/Server"
"Producer/Consumer Threads" "Regular Expression Matching" - suggestions
can be sent to the Shootout mailing list or direct to the Shootout
author.)

> Try --enable-jit, it should be reliable in Smalltalk 2.1e at least
Are there other configure options Brent should enable to show GST in
the best light?

Is there a faster way to startup the image? We seem to GC even before
hello world?

address@hidden smalltalk-2.1.8 # gst hello.st
"Scavenging... 17% reclaimed, done"
"Scavenging... 18% reclaimed, done"