help-smalltalk

[Help-smalltalk] GNU Arch archive with gnu-smalltalk 2.1.8

From: Robert Collins
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] GNU Arch archive with gnu-smalltalk 2.1.8
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 11:06:38 +1000

For folk here that use arch:
address@hidden is at
http://www.squid-cache.org/~robertc/smalltalk/

For folk that don't use arch, here is a n extremly minimal howto for a)
getting the code from arch and b) making your own local archive. There
is much more documentation at www.gnuarch.org & wiki.gnuarch.org, or
#arch on irc.freenode.net. (My nick is lifeless there, if you want me
specifically).

a) Just getting the code:
- install tla (1.2 or newer) - I suggest using a precompiled binary if
your platform has them. Debian stable users should look on
backports.org, debian sid or sarge users can just aptitude install tla.

- setup the environment:
$ tla my-id "Your Name <address@hidden>"
$ mkdir -p ~/arch/revisionlibrary
$ tla my-revision-library ~/arch/revisionlibrary
$ tla library-config --greedy --sparse ~/arch/revisionlibrary'

What this does is sets up a local cache which tla will use. If you move
file systems, copy your home dir around or whatever, just rm -rf
~/arch/revisionlibrary and run the two latter commands again.

- tell tla where my archive is:
$ tla register-archive  \
http://www.squid-cache.org/~robertc/smalltalk/

- checkout the devel code
$ tla get \
address@hidden/gnu-smalltalk--devel--2.1 \
directory-name-to-put-it-in

- checkout my hacked up gtk bindings
$ tla get \
address@hidden/gnu-smalltalk--gtk-bindings--2.1 \
directory-name-to-put-it-in

- you can look at what is in my archive easily:
$ tla abrowse address@hidden

- you can look at my current aggregate patch (currently includes all the
autoconf created files, will be fixing that in a few hours).
$ tla delta --diffs \
address@hidden/gnu-smalltalk--devel--2.1--patch-5
\
 address@hidden/gnu-smalltalk--gtk-bindings--2.1--
patch-6

(the patch-numbers come from abrowse's output).

ok part b), creating your own archive and putting the code in it.

This will make a non-gpg signed archive, as I don't know whether you
guys have gpg keys etc etc. If you do, let me know, and I 'll send a
slightly different set of instructions.

- make a place to put archives
$ mkdir -p ~/arch/archives
- decide on an archive name. The convention is emailaddress--description
  i.e. address@hidden
  archive names have to be globally unique - don't use an email address
that isn't yours!
- make your arch archive
$ tla make-archive address@hidden ~/arch/archives/ \
address@hidden

The second parameter is the directory to create and put the archive in:
I use the archive name as the dir name for convenience.

- now put the code from my archive into yours
$ tla tag -S address@hidden/gnu-smalltalk--
devel--2.1  address@hidden/gnu-smalltalk--devel--2.1

- checkout your code:
$ tla get address@hidden/gnu-smalltalk--devel--2.1 \
directory-name-to-put-it-in

- make a change
$ cd directory-name..
$ do stuff

- see what changes are occuring:

$ tla changes [--diffs]

- commit the changes
$ tla commit -s "I did stuff"

oh, and:
tla add
tla rm
tla mv

will add remove and move files, retaining history.

I'll update the archive to the latest beta code once Paolo uploads that.

Cheers,
Rob