help-smalltalk

Re: [Help-smalltalk] libffi - why the copy, and what changes ?

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] libffi - why the copy, and what changes ?
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 09:21:18 +0200

a) Why do we bundle libffi in rather than requiring it be installed for
us to build?

Because no released version of libffi is current enough. I periodically update libffi from gcc's CVS repository.

b) What does Benno need to do to be able to build gst ?

He tried on 2.1.8 which does not have libffi.

> I just notced that we have some case insensitive file name collisions:
> i.e. /unsupported/[Pp]rofile.st.
>
> Any objects to my doing an audit+fix of this?

They should only be in the unsupported directory. The audit should be as easy as

find . | tr A-Z a-z | sort | uniq -d

or something like that.

As for the archive, I have a few questions on off-line operation, which would be 99% of what I need to publish the archive:

1) are all mirrors the same? That is, if I want to do the initial upload on a fast connection, can I create the mirror on sftp://address@hidden/..., tar the mirror and upload it to sourcecontrol.net?

2) what operations can I do on a mirror? I wrote a script to automatically create cacherevs, but I'd rather not upload 4 Megs of repository on a 56k connection whenever a cacherev is created. Can I create cacherevs on the mirror?

3) what is the difference between using arch's mirror and running a "tla star-merge" command on sourcecontrol.net (not "tla update" because the two archives must be physically independent in order to do the cacherev trick on sourcecontrol.net)?

Paolo

Paolo
Paolo