help-smalltalk

Re: [Help-smalltalk] What is libXrender.la, and why do I need it?

From: Frank J. Lhota
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] What is libXrender.la, and why do I need it?
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 10:15:29 -0400

Paolo Bonzini wrote:

I think it is part of gtk or X11. You should seek help in the gtk mailing list, and failing that you can configure with --disable-gtk and/or --without-gtk.

Paolo

Thanks for the advice. I found a GTK board where I could download libXrender.la. Once I did that, make got past that part.

I did, however, hit one other snag. When make got to the i18n directory, I got a warning that I was trying to link to static library /usr/lib/libiconv.a, which apparently is a really bad idea. Shortly afterward, make died in the i18n directory. Now in this case, I actually did have an *.la file corresponding the /usr/lib/libiconv.a, but somehow make was missing it.

The Makefile in the i18n directory had the line

   LIBICONV = /usr/lib/libiconv.a

Just to see what would happen, I executed the following command in the i18n directory:

   make LIBICONV=/usr/lib/libiconv.la

With this change make in i18n completed successfully. I then had no problems making the rest of Smalltalk and installing it. This has me wondering if there is a problem with the configure script. I invoked configure with the one option --prefix=/usr. Could this have caused a problem with the i18n directory?