help-smalltalk

Re: [Help-smalltalk] Re: [Q] GST support TCP on Windows?

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Re: [Q] GST support TCP on Windows?
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 17:22:30 +0200

One other annoying thing is that you cannot use a program after compiling it,
directly. You should either use the MinGW command prompt to run the .exe (or it
will give errors) or pickup and place all the necessary files into a right
folder hierarchy. This kind of problems would be solved in a professional hand
and by creating an elegant installer we can save the programmers, who want to
use GST, from the setup process of a Unix like system inside Windows via MinGW.
But it is difficult for me to select the necessary files required after doing
the compile process of the dependencies and GST. It is the main difficulty I
currently have beside slowness :).

Why don't you use something like "make install DESTDIR=`pwd`/test" to create the necessary selection of files?

In 3.0b, you have relocatable install, so you can specify paths when configuring, but the installation you make with DESTDIR is already usable and can be moved around. See the FAQ.

Paolo