help-smalltalk

Re: [Help-smalltalk] Iliad submissions

From: Eli Green
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Iliad submissions
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 20:42:06 +0200

On Oct 12, 2009, at 19:22, Nicolas Petton wrote:

I committed your contribution (on both squeaksource and github). I made
a few changes, I hope you don't mind :)

http://github.com/NicolasPetton/iliad/tree/71e801b055d801eced54c82d6f790af42fd470da/More/UI
http://squeaksource.com/IliadDev/Iliad-More-UI0.8-np.2.mcz

How do you go about generating the Squeak version? Do you have a gst- convert scrip that you use? If this isn't automated, it seems like it ought to be. Are there major differences other than converting namespaces to a prefix?

Also, as an aside, what are people using to edit their GST code? I'm a vim-head from way back but I really like the traditional Smalltalk development environments -- although I think VisualWorks is far superior to Squeak, I'm concerned about the fact that I can't even find a price list for it!

So I'm very tempted to put all the effort required into getting VisualGST to compile under OS X. Does VisualGST do a good job of preserving unchanged portions of a file? If I use svn, git or mercurial to do version control, will the unchanged methods be identical between subsequent commits?