help-smalltalk

Re: [Help-smalltalk] GNU Smalltalk on OS X with native GTK

From: Eli Green
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] GNU Smalltalk on OS X with native GTK
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 09:30:17 +0200

On Oct 13, 2009, at 01:11, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

On 10/13/2009 12:05 AM, Eli Green wrote:

It is not what I would call stable or even usable; a few windows that
don't draw themselves, a lot of spinning beach balls (the "Window is not
responding to events" indicator in OS  X).

It would be interesting to know if the X11 version has the same bugs, so as to pinpoint bugs or differences in GTK-Quartz. It seems usable to me under both X11 and Window, and GTK-Quartz is the most experimental GTK backend.

When I first launch gst-browse, a window comes up and lays itself out but never gets to draw any widgets (although there are darker grey rectangles inside the window, so they have been created and attached to the window). It sits there with an error about not being able to read a file and doesn't respond until I send a break to the terminal - at which point everything comes to life and starts drawing itself. I don't actually notice any problems after that. I'm tempted to think that it may actually be a problem in the VM (I'm compiling against the HEAD or whatever it's called in the land of git) or some piece of code creating an infinite loop.

I'll take a closer look at the output and see if I can figure out where it's getting locked up.

From what I can see,
VisualGST is written directly against the Gtk libraries so it's not like somebody could simply implement a Cocoa version of Blox or equivalent. Has any thought been given to placing an abstraction library between GST
and the native platform libraries or is GTK going to be the solution
going forward?

Native-themed GTK, plus maybe a simple wrapper for the GTK-on-Mac libraries that fix the menu bar, is probably good enough.

The truth is you can get 90% of the way there with a bunch of platform- specific customizations. For example, Macs use Command, not Control, for most of their operations. Gtk doesn't realize this on its own. Mimicking the next-tab and previous-tab commands from Safari and Terminal would make people feel more at home as well.

Of course, a double-clickable "GNU Smalltalk.app" would really be snazzy but that's a minor point.

Blox is good enough for simple things, but really implementing a complete modern UI class library is too much. If I was starting from scratch, maybe it would make sense to reimplement Cocoa in Smalltalk, but that would be an incredible amount of work. This is not to say Blox is bad---it used to be a small Xt wrapper and it has been made into a wrapper for Tk and (partly) GTK+, so it turned out to be way more flexible than it was meant to be.

I was imagining something like implementing the Smalltalk-80 MVC or Morphic in GST with platform-specific bindings. But you're right, even that is a major effort and the problem with very high level frameworks is that eventually you end up wanting access to something lower level. It would be pretty amazing to have a Smalltalk that spoke Cairo/Gtk on Linux and Cocoa/Quartz on Mac OS X but the path of least resistance is probably getting a cleaner, stabler version of Gtk for OS X.

Anyway, I'm more interested in working in Iliad than on GST itself but I'll see what I can do to make this a more attractive option on this particular OS.

Thanks for the build recipe! I didn't think it would be difficult, just untested. I had tested the various parts using the .pc files from gtk-osx.org, but I had never done a full build. Can you put it in the wiki, or shall I? Also, did you really need "--enable- gtk=yes"? It should be done automatically.

Oops. That was left over from an earlier attempt where I didn't install pkg-config but it's simply too much hassle without it. You're right - as long as pkg-config is in your path and set up properly, it works without that flag.

I also made an attempt to build an Xcode project for GST but it's a complicated enough build process that it wasn't obvious how to proceed.