help-smalltalk

Re: [Help-smalltalk] re-loading code

From: Stefan Schmiedl
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] re-loading code
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 17:04:09 +0100

On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 16:52:16 +0100
Stefan Schmiedl <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 16:15:27 +0100
> Holger Hans Peter Freyther <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > On 01/22/2011 03:55 PM, Stefan Schmiedl wrote:
> > > Greetings,
> >
> > > How do I get the updated MyWidget code into the running iliad.im
> > > so that the next invocation actually uses the new code?
> >
> > In general i think this is something where GNU Smalltalk could be a lot
> > better.
>
> I hope that it's just a matter of finding the correct sequence of message
> sends and then encapsulating them into something short :-)

Looks like it.

> > What I tend to do is to either:
> > a)
> >     $ Smalltalk removeFeature: #MyMod. PackageLoader fileInPackage: #MyMod
>
> What happens to instances of classes defined in package MyMod during
> removeFeature? Are they kept around and migrated somehow to the new structure
> when that is loading?

Yep, they are! I had the "usual" counter counting to 6, then I changed
the ++ and -- methods to perform the calculations for the Collatz sequence
(n -> n/2 on --, n -> 3n+1 on ++) and ran:

gst-remote --eval "Smalltalk removeFeature: #App. PackageLoader fileInPackage:
'App'"

and, big cheer, -- led me to 3, then ++ gave me a 10.

Grinning insanely,
s.