help-smalltalk

Re: gnu-smalltalk was dropped from debian

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: gnu-smalltalk was dropped from debian
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 17:39:44 +0200 (CEST)

GNU smalltalk could be useful in a purely command-line oriented way, for
example with the EMACS (Emacs editor) integration which was as far as I
understand it, the concept back in 1990 or so, back in the days of Steve Byrne.

Also the wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Smalltalk claims that
the initial release was in 2003, but I suspect it was rather around 1988 or so,
back in the days of Steve Byrne and the fact that some source files seem to
have a message:

Copyright 1988,92,94,95,99,2000,2001

GNU Smalltalk is presumably much older than 2003 as the wikipedia page
incorrectly claims.

It may be possible to build a package on Debian without any user interface or
GTK at all and thus address the concerns:

 1. No Debian maintainer - if Bill volunteers then this is solved
 2. Depends on GTK - try to solve this by packaging a purely Emacs CLI oriented
GNU smalltalk
 3. Inactive upstream - remains potentially a problem

However if a Debian package is made for the CLI portion of GNU smalltalk
without GTK, then this could possibly help to overcome issue 3.

Regards,
David Stes