help-stow

Re: [Help-stow] links to directories are stowed to directories (not link

From: Adam Spiers
Subject: Re: [Help-stow] links to directories are stowed to directories (not links)
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2015 19:17:37 +0000

Hi Gabriele,

Sorry again for another slow reply.

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 06:19:35PM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 12:52:34PM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> Using: (GNU Stow) version 2.2.0
>
> Actually, I seem to have made things a bit clearer (to me, before
> everybody else).
>
> I find the above mentioned problem only when running with the
> --no-folding option (which I run with in my install scripts).
>
> Here is a scriptlett which explains what my problem is.

[snipped]

> I am obviously misunderstanding the --no-folding option.
>
> In other words: I understand that --no-folding "unpacks" a directory
> even if stow could plop a single link for it, but I wouldn't expect this
> behavior on something which is not actually a directory, but instead a
> link to a directory; to me, it's kind of an unnecessary dereferencing.
>
> If itk-current is a link to something (be it a directory or any other
> object) which is *beneath* the pkg tree, what's wrong with stowing it
> as such?
>
> Of course, I realize that stow gives anyway the correct result: the
> contents of itk-current in both the stow directory and the target tree
> appear the same, as they must be.
>
> I apologize for the lengthy post and for the possible naive problem it
> addresses

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation, and I can now
understand the problem fully.  I think you are current that Stow
should stow a symlink in this case, and the only reason it didn't
happen was through a bug which arose from my misunderstanding of the
behaviour of Perl's -d function.  I have pushed a fix for this
to savannah and github:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/stow.git/commit/?id=7b43622dd9ff7b8793d1c08727f84ac5069d3fb4

https://github.com/aspiers/stow/commit/7b43622dd9ff7b8793d1c08727f84ac5069d3fb4

which will be included in the next release.  Please can you confirm
this addresses the issue to your satisfaction?

Regards,
Adam