help-tar

[Help-tar] Tar and procfs

From: Kip Warner
Subject: [Help-tar] Tar and procfs
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 19:15:01 -0800

Hey list,

I need another user to archive their /proc so that I can examine the
contents to perform some debugging.

Of course this is a special kind of filesystem and a normal tarball
generated against /proc will contain a lot of apparently empty files in
the generated archive due to the way tar and other GNU utilities, such
as cp, attempt to read the files (fine with cat, as an example).

Is there a particular argument I should pass to tar to archive the
contents of /proc?

Respectfully,

--
Kip Warner -- Senior Software Engineer