[Fwd: Texinfo, A4 paper, double-sided, margins]

From: Daniel Tourde
Subject: [Fwd: Texinfo, A4 paper, double-sided, margins]
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 12:58:24 +0100

Daniel TOURDE                             E-mail : address@hidden
                                             Tel : +46 (0)8-55 50 43 44
                                        Cellular :  +46 (0)70-849 93 40
   FOI, Swedish Defence Research Agency; Aeronautics Division - FFA
       Dept. of Wind Energy and Aviation Environmental Research
SE-172 90 Stockholm, Sweden                     Fax : +46 (0)8-25 34 81
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Texinfo, A4 paper, double-sided, margins Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 12:49:08 +0100
Hello Karl,

I have a simple problem with emacs.texi. I am trying to generate a
double-sided report out of it on the European A4 format. I am focusing
on Emacs-21.2 and I use the latest texinfo.tex file (2002-03-26.07).
However, I am not very happy with the results...

I use @afourpaper and @afourlatex but I have in both cases, a problem
with the offset (odd and even pages...). Moreover, I think (especially
with afourlatex) that the margin are too big, I would like to reduce
them. I looked in the @afourpaper and @afourlatex section in texinfo.tex
but it is too odd for me... I don't really grasp the syntax. I tried
@papersizes also but unfortunately, @papersizes does not recompute the
margins automatically or give the possibility to simply specify the
margins wanted.

Here is my problem with @afourlatex (with @afourpaper, that's the same
kind of problem). I take one odd and one even page as an example:

Page 22: Margin on the top: 20mm
         Margin on the bottom: 40mm
         Margin on the left: 30mm
         Margin on the right: 40mm (however, there might be some space
reserved for footnotes, I am not really sure)

Page 23: Margin on the top: 20mm
         Margin on the bottom: 40mm
         Margin on the left: 35mm
         Margin on the right: 35mm (however, there might be some space
reserved for footnotes, I am not really sure)

So now, If I put print them on a single sheet of paper and if I looked
through the paper I clearly see that the side margins do not fit:

        30mm <-> 35mm
        40mm <-> 35mm

Here is what I would like to achieve:

Page 22: Margin on the top: 20mm
         Margin on the bottom: 20mm (the real bottom of the page, footnotes
included)
         Margin on the left: 20mm
         Margin on the right: 20mm

Page 23: Margin on the top: 20mm
         Margin on the bottom: 20mm (the real bottom of the page, footnotes
included)
         Margin on the left: 20mm
         Margin on the right: 20mm

I might decide to have some margin for the binding:

Page 22: Margin on the top: 20mm
         Margin on the bottom: 20mm (the real bottom of the page, footnotes
included)
         Margin on the left: 20mm
         Margin on the right: 25mm

Page 23: Margin on the top: 20mm
         Margin on the bottom: 20mm (the real bottom of the page, footnotes
included)
         Margin on the left: 25mm
         Margin on the right: 20mm

In any cases, when I superimpose the two pages I obtain:

        20mm <-> 20mm
        20mm <-> 20mm

        25mm <-> 25mm
        20mm <-> 20mm

An A4 pages is 210mm x 297 mm
and 1 inch = 25.4 mm

So here is my question: How do I do that? What shall I modify in
texinfo.tex to get what I want to have?

                Daniel

Daniel TOURDE                             E-mail : address@hidden
                                             Tel : +46 (0)8-55 50 43 44
                                        Cellular :  +46 (0)70-849 93 40
   FOI, Swedish Defence Research Agency; Aeronautics Division - FFA
       Dept. of Wind Energy and Aviation Environmental Research
SE-172 90 Stockholm, Sweden                     Fax : +46 (0)8-25 34 81

--- End Message ---