Re: [help-texinfo] changing font size in hardcopy

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] changing font size in hardcopy
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 11:28:13 -0500

    \ifletter
    \hsize=8.5 true in
    \vsize=11 true in

But \hsize and \vsize are not the physical paper size.  They are the
line length and page height for typesetting.

Since Texinfo has commands for a bunch of paper sizes, and @pagesizes to
arbitrarily set the printable area, it's necessary for \[hv]size and
\[hv]offset to be recomputed after magnification based on what they
previously were.  There's no way to write down constant dimensions for
every case.

Anyway, the overall approach of magnification is not as useful as
changing font sizes, so given the choice of working on one or the other ...

    These could then be included as alternatives by `texinfo.tex'.

Right now texinfo.tex is *one* file.  It turns out that this is
extremely nice, because it makes updates simple.  So I have resisted
temptations to break it up.

It is certainly not impossible to parameterize the font setting stuff so
that it can be done dynamically with different sizes, instead of just
once when texinfo.tex is read.  It's not trivial, though.

    I did something similar with `plain.tex'

Me too :).