Re: [help-texinfo] diacritical marks in @ commands

From: Robert Dodier
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] diacritical marks in @ commands
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:19:22 -0600

Hi Karl,

Thanks for your reply. Btw the document in question is the
translation of the Maxima (http://maxima.sf.net) reference manual
to Spanish. We're also working on a Portuguese translation.

> By any chance, does it help to put braces around it, as in
>   @defvr {declaraci@'on} MAINVAR

Yes, that seems to work. Thanks!

Well, I just tried it again and @node seems to be OK.

>     The accent is shown as a separate character instead of being
>     combined with the i as a single character.
>
> If you want real 8-bit iso-8859-15 (or whatever) Info output, instead of
> 7-bit ASCII, then (1) give the --enable-encoding option to makeinfo, and
> (2) add a line like this after @setfilename: @documentencoding
> ISO-8859-15

OK, I have added @documentencoding and --enable-encoding,
but I still get separate characters. However to judge by the hundreds
of warning messages like this:

./Program.es.texi:407: warning: ntilde is an invalid ISO code, using ~.
./Program.es.texi:408: warning: oacute is an invalid ISO code, using '.
./Program.es.texi:417: warning: iacute is an invalid ISO code, using '.

it appears the @ commands are recognized but the encoding
fails for some reason. A broken lookup table? Just guessing here.

Thanks a lot for your help, I really appreciate it.

Robert Dodier