Re: [help-texinfo] command index and unified index

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] command index and unified index
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 21:20:10 -0700

On 18-May-06, at 3:54 PM, Karl Berry wrote:

Another possible workaround is to duplicate every @findex with @vindex

Ah, good thought.

I hate to say it, but you might even be able to do that with a macro, so
you only have the one command in the source ...

Hmm, there are two problems with this:
1.  (minor)  Macros use {}, whereas the normal @index entries don't.
2. (major) We need to write @macroname{\\command} to get \command in the index.

Of course, writing
@findex \foo
@kindex \foo
will also be awkward, but I know enough sed to create these automatically. Future docs will require manually adding them, though. Actually, I suppose that we might encounter some commands which we want to exclude from the "command index", so splitting these up wouldn't be so bad.

Thanks for your great program; I only mention these problems in case you know of a workaround or an alternate solution. I'm content to go with writing @findex @kindex.

Cheers,
- Graham