RE: [help-texinfo] Re: small font in gcc online docs

From: Jonathan Grant
Subject: RE: [help-texinfo] Re: small font in gcc online docs
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 10:19:39 -0000

Hi Karl,

Thanks for your reply.

>     Does @smallexample come out as 8pt or so? It definitely looks
>     smaller than 10pt on my screen.
>
> It comes out as whatever your browser tells it to, hopefully depending
> on what font size you have set.  This is why different users see
> different things.  The effect should be similar to using
> <small>...</small>, although I expect there are browser(s) and
> version(s) which don't implement any of this properly in the first
> place.
>
> As for using @example instead of @smallexample, I suspect some of the
> examples would then become too wide for the printed manual.

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Inline.html

In the printed manual, is <pre class="smallexample"></pre> text smaller or
the same size as <code></code> text? I suspect they will be the same, in
which case they should both be the same readable size in the HTML version.

Definitely each user can change the default browser settings, but I would
hope pages would be readable without browser modification.

See what it looks like at present for me with default Firefox3:
http://img219.imageshack.us/my.php?image=firefox3inlineub4.png

> I'm sorry, but I just don't see anything to do here.  Every option will
> displease someone.

Let's see if the manual really does look different. Perhaps GCC could just
use the <code></code> as that works fine?

Regards, Jon