[help-texinfo] Re: Directory structure in /usr/shared/info

From: Suso
Subject: [help-texinfo] Re: Directory structure in /usr/shared/info
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 02:37:17 +0000

address@hidden (Karl Berry) writes:

> The problem is that info viewers are not prepared to look in
> subdirectories of $(infodir) on the one hand, and on the other nothing
> is set up to install info files there in the first place.  I confess
> that I feel rather stymied about it all.  And since there are very few
> translated Texinfo manuals, it's never been a priority to push through.
>
> Karl

Maybe it's the situation itself that involves a vicious circle: is
very likely that nobody wish to translate texinfo manuals when the
system itself still has not implemented a reasonable solution to
integrate that work...

For example, now I have more than 25 texinfo manuals translated -and
published as html at gnu.manticore.es- into Spanish (Texinfo, Emacs,
Elisp Reference and many more) and I am in the process of translating
Find, Coreutils, Make, Gettext, etc.

As I can see, it seems necessary to put two high priority tasks in the
Texinfo todo list:
1.- Prepare Info viewers to look in subdirectories of $(infodir);
2.- Set up to install info files there in the first place.

Man pages can do it, why not info/texinfo system?

Suso