Re: [help-texinfo] [SPAM] Re: Spaces before @ commands

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] [SPAM] Re: Spaces before @ commands
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 22:40:05 GMT

    I'm assuming it got blocked because i was not subscribed.

For the record, it is fine to post to this list (and all GNU lists, in
principle) when not subscribed.  There is a delay so a human can approve
the first such message, that's all.

    why are the spaces not allowed? Do they
    make anything ambiguous?

Some reasons have been stated, but I think the most important is TeX.
When spaces are active, there is no good way to ignore them at the
beginning of a line.

(In general, anything regarding newlines is susceptible to tricky
problems in TeX.  I have come to wish Texinfo syntax had been designed
differently from the start.  Anyway.)

Best,
karl