Re: [help-texinfo] Index entries for "@command" & Co.

From: Tim Landscheidt
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Index entries for "@command" & Co.
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 11:30:17 +0000

address@hidden (Karl Berry) wrote:

>     but to me texinfo.fn looked like it is generated by code in
>     texinfo.tex

> Certainly true.  I thought we were talking about Unicode sorting here,
> not the indexed Texinfo commands lacking @.

> Anyway, the problem in this case is not so much the implementation but
> that there is no user-level way to specify a sort key.  I'm not happy at
> the idea of making up a new command like @findexwithsortkey.  However, I
> guess we could do a new command used within the indexing commands, as in
> @findex @sortkey{command} @@command

> (Patrice, wdyt?)

> For now, it remains on the TODO list ...

Another issue just came up on bison-patches: Collapsing:

| doc/bison.texinfo:@deffn {Macro} YYERROR;
| doc/bison.texinfo:@deffn {Statement} {return YYERROR;}
| doc/bison.texinfo:@deffn {Macro} YYERROR

to one YYERROR index entry
(cf. http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.parsers.bison.patches/5152
and
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.parsers.bison.patches/5157).
So in this case, not only the sort key would have to be
changeable, but also the index entry itself.

  Do you see a consistent syntax to incorporate such a fea-
ture (or another solution to the problem)?

Tim