Re: [help-texinfo] Unicode line drawing chars in pdf output

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Unicode line drawing chars in pdf output
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 23:26:39 GMT

For the record, DejaVu (and many other "big" fonts) have had TeX support
available for some time, including the tfm's and type1's needed for
(pdf)tex. E.g.: http://mirror.ctan.org/fonts/dejavu
And I include the packages in TeX Live.
(I wonder if GNU freefont has them; seems like it should.)

However, I doubt many users actually have them, since most TeX users do
not use the original TeX Live.  Also, there is the problem James alluded
to of at least somewhat matching Computer Modern.  And there is the
problem that the result will surely be if the *user*'s setup does not
have them, which is far from unlikely, in my experience.

Thus I'm not sure creating graphics with Unicode characters is such a
good idea, even in theory.  And, in practice, I rather suspect that
there would be substantial complications with using the line-drawing
characters in TeX.

But if someone cares enough to do the experiments, that would be fine.