Re: [help-texinfo] Can't find tex

From: tomas
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Can't find tex
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 10:51:56 +0100

On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 10:18:32PM -0600, Germán Arias wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need use latest texinfo. So I installed it on my machine (Trisquel 6).
> But trying to use texi2pdf I get:
>

> /usr/local/bin/texi2dvi: texinfo.tex appears to be broken.
> This may be due to the environment variable TEX set to something
> other than (plain) tex, a corrupt texinfo.tex file, or
> to tex itself simply not working.
>

> I have installed .tex files. To solve this I need export TEX with:
>

> export TEX=$TEX:/usr/share/texmf/tex/texinfo/texinfo.tex
>

> Then if I try texi2pdf I get:
>

> You don't have a working TeX binary
> (:/usr/share/texmf/tex/texinfo/texinfo.tex) installed anywhere in
> your PATH, and texi2dvi cannot proceed without one.
>

> But I have TeX installed, this is at /usr/bin/tex. So, what I'm doing
> wrong?

Judging by the error messages my hunch is that texi2pdf is expecting $TEX
to contain the path to the TeX executable (i.e. /usr/bin/tex) -- or just
be unset (it's in a standard location, after all).

Going by the texi2dvi manual:

  "The values of the BIBTEX, LATEX (or PDFLATEX), MAKEINDEX, MAKEINFO,
   TEX (or PDFTEX), TEXINDEX, and THUMBPDF environment variables are
   used to run those commands, if they  are  set.  Any CMD strings are
   added after @setfilename for Texinfo input, in the first line for
   LaTeX input."

that seems to be what is happening.

Perhaps you want to set/augment the environment variable TEXINPUTS, which
helps TeX itself to find its *.tex files when not in standard locations.
But perhaps there is a more "texinfo-y" way to do this. Here I must defer
to the real experts.

HTH
- -- tomás