Re: [help-texinfo] Footnote label in text is not small in PDF output

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Footnote label in text is not small in PDF output
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 20:21:47 +0000

On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 06:45:11PM +0100, Mohammad Akhlaghi wrote:
> Dear Texinfo maintainers,
>
> The manual of GNU Astronomy Utilities (Gnuastro) is in Texinfo and I am very
> grateful for this wonderful tool, it is instrumental to Gnuastro (the manual
> plays a major part in Gnuastro).
>
> Today, I noticed that the footnote labels (numbers) in the body of the PDF
> text don't have a smaller font size. They are elevated, but not in a smaller
> font. You can see the PDF manual of the most recent version here, page 3 has
> the first footnote):
>
> http://akhlaghi.org/gnuastro.pdf
>
> It wasn't like this in the previous release of Gnuastro, here is its PDF
> output I built in September for the 0.4 release:
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/gnuastro/manual/gnuastro.pdf
>
> This is the Makefile that manages the texinfo source:
>
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnuastro.git/tree/doc/Makefile.am
>
> Gnuastro imports many source files (including `texinfo.tex') from Gnulib and
> I keep it up to date. You can see the tarball (that contains this file,
> Gnulib's files are not version controlled in Gnuastro) here:
>
> http://akhlaghi.org/gnuastro-latest.tar.lz
>
> On my system, the installed Texinfo is version 6.5.
>
> I wanted to consult you on why this is happening? Is there a problem in the
> way Texinfo is managed in Gnuastro, or is this a bug in Texinfo?

Well spotted, it is a bug in Texinfo. I got the same formatting in the
footnotes when I formatted Texinfo's own manual. It appears to have
changed in the most recent change to texinfo.tex which was related to
fonts in superscript. I will revert the change until I can make some
more sense of what is going on.