[help-texinfo] referencing manual pages in Texinfo documents

From: Marco Maggi
Subject: [help-texinfo] referencing manual pages in Texinfo documents
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 06:33:36 +0100

Ciao,

  on my  x86_64-slackware-linux-gnu, in  some documentation  I reference
manual pages using:

   @macro manpage{NODE, TITLE}
   @xref{\NODE\,\TITLE\,\TITLE\,*manpages*}
   @end macro

ugly or  not, it  works for  me with output  in Info  format.  It  is my
understanding that  "*manpages*" is undocumented in  the Texinfo manual.

  I wonder what is the status of  this hidden feature and if it there is
a way to specify the manual pages section in the reference; for example,
I want:

   @manpage{mkfifo, Make a FIFO special file}

to reference "mkfifo(2)" rather than "mkfifo(1)".

TIA
--
Marco Maggi